headlight problem

hi hope someone can help as i can't find any posts that covers it

last night the right hand dip beam went out so checked fuse's fine so checked bulb also fine

there is 12V on the dip wire but as soon as i put the bulb dose not lite and the power drops right off

the main beam works fine so dont think it is the earth

left light is working as it should

there is a headlight relay behind the fusebox metal panel, switch has seperate contacts for power in, side/tail lights,dip headlights, the switch does get very warm & the headlight contact retreats into the plastic case which leaves the wiper arm trying to work across a gap between it & the headlight contact.

so there isn't 1 contact for each sid just on and i take it must split at the relay un less there is relays for each side

i hate electrics :angry2:

thank you for your help so far

i'm hoping to fix it before sunday as i have my last RTV of the year and leave in the dark and come home it it too

Now you've found that a multi meter can give you a reading if only one strand of wire is connected...Please use a test lamp first.....

Depending on the year of the Defender as to if relays are fitted....There should be two. One dip and one mainbeam. There should be a fuse for each side dip, again depending on the year.

Have you H4 bulbs fitted? If so try pulling the contact lugs together a bit. If that makes no difference then check for power behind the connector block.

It's also worth while to try another bulb.

HTH