Freelander 1.8 head replacement

carlosbeldia

Good day. I know there is a lot of information on this subject, But I couldn't find it. Can somebody tell me if there is any improved head for this engine? a friend of mine have just bought a 2000 with fried engine, only head in aparently good condition. We have a new block, valves, pistons, etc.... but thinking in put a better head. Is Turner Engineering a reliable head? we have heard a lot on this engine being a really crappy one, so we are trying to make it the most reliable we can.

The head to block fit has never been particularly good on the rover K series. Some progress has been made with the use of multi-layer-steel head gaskets, and cooling system changes (remote thermostat etc) to try and reduce the movement at the head/block interface. The design of the head is not actually the problem, it's the block. They changed the top of the block to allow bigger bore liners, which are not well supported and that has resulted in less stiffness in the block. Over time, they have tried to rectify this issue with the MLS gaskets, tighter fitting steel locating dowels, new head bolt and torque specifications etc. I've been there with the K series and won't have another one, but if it's all you've got to work with then do everything you can to try and reduce the likelihood of movement between the head and the block. Once you've got it back together, take no chances when bleeding the coolant system, even a brief overheat can expose this K series weakness and ruin all the hard work.

Good luck!

Do you mean the little plastic locating dowels? There is one at each end of the block and they are hollow to allow oil up into the head. They are pressed in to the block and they stick out a little bit to assist in positioning the head. They used to wear away through heat and vibration and then the head would move on the block. I think you will find they are using steel dowels now.

Or do you mean the Pressure Release Thermostat modification? The original Freebie K series has the thermostat on the input side of the block and triggered by a very small heated coolant supply from the engine and it can result in quite a high temp before triggering a rush of cold coolant into the block which is not desireable. The PRT will open with pressure or heat and supposedly results in a more even temperature control. Another alternative is a kit (google QED thermostat kit) which puts the thermostat on the coolant output side of the block.

Cheers, Ray.