Speedo drive gear 300tdi with TD5 dash

Hi all I went to change my speedo drive gear for the 20 tooth blue gear today but failed.

Removed Transducer - easy but next was to remove the gear which seams to be held behind a bush which will not move.

Any tips for getting the gear and bush out,

Regards

Frax

Hi Ralf

Sound like I have been attacking the wrong bit once again, I take it that the bush has a lip the sits proud of the casing - did see the lip but was trying to pull out the center bit thinking the lip was part of the casing - drawing I have of it is not the best.

Regards

Frax

Take the handbrake backplate off Gordon, then you can get at it properly. They can be corroded in quite solidly. I usually use an old wood chisel to remove it, which has a nice sharp edge to get under the little flange and a good wedge shape to lift it.

HTH

Mo

Thanks Mo - looks like a bigger job than I thought - can only hope that it will make a differences when I have done it. Are you running bit tires and is your speedo accurate then. I would not mind but doing 60mph at 50 on speedo is a bit much and the wrong way round for playing safe with the speed cops.

I did not see part 20 - do you know if it is held by the same bolt that hold the transducer in place. Good pictures, now at least I know what I am looking at but can not see.

the alloy boss is just pushed in, the bolt/stud is only to secure the transducer or speedo cable in place, bolt has to come out to remove transducer,

I run 255's & my speedo is spot on too.

Never made it out last night, got stuck in tonight though and have just finished. Did I tell you I absolutely hate working on my back...Started again and when bits started to chip off - I decided as Mo said to remove the prop and hand brake back plate, that done tried again and chipped more bits off - I was just about to give up (don't like to be beaten ) found a socket the right size that fitted into the cast sleeve - put an extension bar on and started to knock it about with lots of WD40. Eventually after cleaning the slot round the cast bush with a scalpel the bush started to move. giggled it about for about 1/2 an hour and it came free. The rest was easy old gear out (yellow) and new gear in (blue) and put it all back together.

Went for a run and a lot better - not perfect but better - at 58 mph on clock I am doing 60 mph on sat nav which is not that bad.

Mo having run lots of different size tires 33" is by far the best if ye like big.

Still have a set of 33" BF which I might run for a while but they don't have a lot of tread left.

Thanks for all the help.

Frax