New to Disco's

oilyhands

Hi, After 12 years driving mundane cars!! "Can't belive its been THAT long" I've now got the urge for another Landy and I'm thinking along the lines of a Discovery 2 TD5, XS or ES,

Not having owned or driven one, I'm open to you guys to put me on the right track,

what to look out for like where's the rot, what leaks and what gives up the ghost after 60,000 miles and what to expect in general maintenance, Would prefer manual although a dodgy left knee might mean Auto,

Hope its all positive, oilyhands.

Hi, IMO beware of auto...quite a lot problems with the autobox management...and very expensive to fix. D2's dont have too much rust issues, and the rust is the easyest to fix on them... The most important is to make sure there are not hidden faults when you buy it so watch carefully the warning lamps self check on ignition... an ES must be like a christmas tree firs then all lamps must extinguish...concentrate on the ABS. If u are determined download RAVE(rave01.iso) from here http://www.myrangero...Rover/RAVE.html cos u'll need it anyway and see the workshop manual - instruments description to know which warning lamps must be on(according to equipment)...some sellers used to hide active warnings by putting black tape on them from behind. Take a drive test and make sure u will love the D2 otherwise it could make you the impression that it's not reliable.... which is just an impression ;)

Hi sierrafery, thanks for that, I'll be having a serious look for one come May time, can't wait to be back driving something with character!!

how about suspension, air bags or springs? I fancy the air system but is it high maintenance? :i-m_so_happy:

Hi sierrafery, thanks for that, I'll be having a serious look for one come May time, can't wait to be back driving something with character!!

how about suspension, air bags or springs? I fancy the air system but is it high maintenance? :i-m_so_happy:

if your are looking at an XS or ES in standard form you don't have an opition, both are SLS (air bags). It depends what you mean by "high maintenance" but there is a maintenance aspect to SLS, where as with 'springs' it's nil.