Oil on glow plugs

Off Road Toad

I've just changed the glow plugs on my 300tdi disco as after 230,000 miles i thought it may help starting when cold :ph34r: However - when i pulled them out they all were absolutely covered in engine oil right down their length. Any ideas what this would indicate? I appreciate it's done more than it's fair share of mileage so am guessing something has worn and letting oil into where it shouldn't be, or is it maybe something simples like valve stem seals? It doesn't smoke by the way like its burning oil.

Thanks, Steve

Did you check the timing (ie a new belt) like i suggested last year?

when you said you had poor starting. down on power, missing, and quite a bit of blue smoke on start up and off the throttle..

and yes your stem seals will most likely be gone lift the rocker cover and you will prob see most have ridden up the valve stem. But unless there is lots of slop in valves not a huge amount of oil will be getting passed so i don't think this is your problem..

any way forget about the 300 hows the td5 going? :D

Did you check the timing (ie a new belt) like i suggested last year?

Erm, don't think i've even checked the oil or water let alone timing :P

any way forget about the 300 hows the td5 going? :D

Now it's on it's third cylinder head since my ownership and now it has a proper ecu map it goes erm - rather rapidly :ph34r:

Regarding the 300, i won't worry too much about the oil on the plugs, as it still seems to run ok, but i do feel that in the not too distant future i will either need to re-build or replace the donkey as it is getting very tired.

Steve