diff questions

Afternoon all

A few questions on diffs if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be a great help

last weekend my front diff let go big time so got a second hand one from a disco as all my running gear is disco, have taken the diff out and found the carrier bearings are pitted to old f bags so bit of a waste of time getting it really :glare:

so here goes

1 is a rear diff the same as a front one coz a mate has a rear one i can have thats ok for nout??

2 can i just change the carrier bearings and try and set it up? as the pinion bearings are ok so the height hasnt changed.is it just setting the backlash??

3 anyone live near me that fancys doing it for some £££? and how much??

ya gotta love a landy :hysterical: :hysterical: :blink::mellow:

Why bother disturbing the bearings. Just get a complete diff and bolt it in whole sale. No setting up (if it is a know good one). And yes you can run a rear in the front and vice versa in theory and if all you are doing is using the truck for messing about and low miles I wouldn't hesitate to do it. There are differences in the way the diffs are set up and where the teeth on the gears run but in practice on an old high miler it won't make much difference.

New Timken bearings are cheap enough and setting up a diff is not that hard to do once you have done a few. Setting the backlash is the hard part unless you have a proper dial gauge.

Only took the centre out as there was a bit of movement side to side so thought I'd just check the bearings and one of them is pitted quite a lot, thought it would be best to replace it while it's out.

Have got a dial gauge so not a problem there

Just last time I tried I changed the pinion bearings (with cheap ones) messed the pinion height up and ruined the crown wheel and pinion! Ended up getting kam diffs to fix it and put a locker in .