How to disable fuel burning heater?

Dorsetfreelander

Pull the fuse?

There is a temperature sensor in the lower grille in the front bumper (may be different on 04 models but that's where it was on my '01), if you are careful and poke a screwdriver through the grille you can pop the sensor out of its bracket and pull it back up into the engine bay, or pop the connector off.

This then gives you access to manually control the heater, I replaced the sensor (which is just a thermo-switch) with an extended wire into the cabin & a switch on the dashboard so I can force the heater on/off manually. I was going to add another option to revert back to the sensor but can't be bothered... you can also activate the heater with the engine off by giving it 12v on that wire, although it won't run for long as it needs the heater fan running, otherwise the heater matrix just gets hot and the FBH switches off again in a very short time. My next project (probably next winter now!) is to wire in the heater blower so I can warm the cab up with the engine off.