Quick question regarding A frame

Just a quickie, tomorrow I plan to replace the A frame bushes. While I'm at it, it seems the perfect time to give the arms/mountings a good clean and paint so rather than doing one arm at a time (leaving one arm attached to prevent movement) I am thinking about taking the both arms off at the same time.

I plan to leave the balljoint and fulcrum attached to the axle and to remove both arms, so is it just a question of supporting the chassis with the road wheels resting on the floor - to prevent things moving whilst the arms are off?

Any suggestions as to the easiest way to do this would be received most gratefully!

mmm, correct me if I am wrong......

Your trailing arms keep the axle locked in the correct position so the axle wont travel forward or back and your springs will keep the chassis at the same height. As long as you dont move the vehicle nothing should go out of place.

HTH

G

I did similar a few weeks back, but I removed the A Frame completely and the ball joint, I just had the truck up on a ramp, did not lift axle, it moved very slightly but nothing to much that a short bar under the tyre couldn't alter to facilitate the refit.

Thats right, you don;t need to have the wheels off the ground, in fact that would make it more awkward..... chock the wheels as you thought and support the vehicle on the chassis and you'll be fine, you'll be able to move the axle slightly to get the arms re-aligned when you come to refit them...!

I'd just like to report back a happy story - completed this Monday/Tuesday and wow! What a difference! It's transformed the 90, it's got to be the one single job I've done on the landy with the biggest improvement. Shunt when slowing in gear has been reduced drastically, bumps/potholes 'feel' less harsh and the steering feels a lot more precise, it's surprising how quick I can go around roundabouts etc now!

Bushes came out ok using the drill-hacksaw-chisel method - I don't know what all the fuss is about! :ph34r: One thing to note is that I did the panhard rod bushes recently, the old items were the poly type bush and the inside mating face of the panhard rod had a lot of corrosion that needed cleaning up, compared to the inside mating faces of the A frame arms which had the 'normal' rubber type bushes. Another reason not to go down the polybush route perhaps?