Sankey Trailer

Frax

Can you tow a Sankey with a Bradley tow ball – jaw type with pin.

I am looking to buy a Sankey but don’t want to change my tow ball as I also have an ifor Williams trailer so just wondered if the pin is OK for towing a Sankey.

I know I could fit the trailer with a ball hitch but would like to leave it standard if possible.

If I have stuck this in the wrong section or if this question has been asked before I am sorry, I have done a hunt but I am not the best at it.

My other problem will be finding one for sale in Aberdeenshire – I have only ever seen one up here.

Regards

Frax

The other issue apart from the ring not fitting in a standard pin drawbar the towing pintle needs to rotate otherwise you could be in a whole heap of trouble.

Jason.

Can you tow a Sankey with a Bradley tow ball – jaw type with pin.

I am looking to buy a Sankey but don’t want to change my tow ball as I also have an ifor Williams trailer so just wondered if the pin is OK for towing a Sankey.

I know I could fit the trailer with a ball hitch but would like to leave it standard if possible.

If I have stuck this in the wrong section or if this question has been asked before I am sorry, I have done a hunt but I am not the best at it.

My other problem will be finding one for sale in Aberdeenshire – I have only ever seen one up here.

Regards

Frax

Does depend on which generation Sankey you buy – if you get the ‘narrow track’ it will have a swivel on the trailer part of the hitch, and will be happy in a non-swivelling plant-trailer type hitch. However, I would urge you to get the newer widetrack – as they have a drop-down tailgate and were designed to be towed by a 90/110 so are far more useful, IMHO. I managed to pick up a swivelling NATO hitch for £20 from Ebay, which I then bolted to a spare drop-plate. The holes were even pre-drilled in the drop-plate!

As for the sourcing one local to you, I initially tried that, but gave up, and got one delivered from Withams for £80, have a read here:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=66086&hl=&fromsearch=1

Don’t forget to budget for a new trailer electrical plug and some 12v bulbs. And it’s quite likely some of the military-style lamps will be broken.

Matt

Cross member. although IIRC you have larger tyres and a lift so it might want to be just under on yours. Unless you fit 33's to the sankey :wub:

Abit OT is there a sankey how too anywhere showing pics of a mk I II AND III ? i have a logsplitter wich i suspent may be on a narrow track? chassis altho my NATO hitch will not fit the trailers ring (ooh er) but the ring seems too large for my 3.5 tone jaw/ball it does fit but twitches on the bolt heads when turning making a F off banf, very amusing in the middle of town ;)

Will.

Narrow track secures it's body with J hooks narrower body than the Wide track version, has drum brakes actuated via rods also has no tailgate although one may have been added during it's life!!The legs also swing from the rear and not from the sides.

Wide track MK 11 has drum brakes, no anti roll bar, and jockey wheel does not swivel (fold up)

MK 111 has disk brakes, Anti roll bar and a 'swivel' jockey wheel there are a few versions of the MK11 and MK111 around that have been modified during their life for example there are some MK111's on the market where the hitch has been moved to the top of the a frame so that they could be towed by trucks although they are fairly easy to reverse engineer.

Jason.

i have a logsplitter wich i suspent may be on a narrow track? chassis altho my NATO hitch will not fit the trailers ring (ooh er) but the ring seems too large for my 3.5 tone jaw/ball it does fit but twitches on the bolt heads when turning making a F off banf, very amusing in the middle of town ;)

Will.

I have an Angus Fire Armour trailer, its hitch is a fraction too small for the Nato hook, so the hook got thinned ever so slightly