Alternator problem I think

I was over to a friend house today, about 10 miles away. When I left home I found that my Defender did not start as quick as it usual does but it had been sitting for a couple of days.

When I set off I noticed that my volt gauge was only reading 11.78v. When I left to come home it was back near 14v but dropped down again after about 6 miles.

When I got home I put a Fluke on the battery and found it was reading 12.80v with the isolator switch turned off – turn it on and back to 11.78v. Start it up and still 11.78v.

Another thing I noticed is that my stereo loses its pre-set channels. Tuned this back in and turned the ignition off – waited 5 min and turned it on again and pre-set’s were still there, however if I turn the ignition back on and turn the starter over the power goes from the stereo and pre-sets are lost.

Dont know if this is just because the low start voltage drops even more to turn the starter motor !!

Any thoughts welcome.

Frax

Anything less than 12.6V on the battery, engine off, is a duff battery. With engine on, anything less than 14v is a duff alternator. I take it with ign ON and engine off, your battery warning light is lit?

Would do but its an TD5 warning panel which I think is LED may need to check voltage at the back of the plug though - mind you that probably wont work - need to look into how they work, relay changes state !!!! dont know.

Well got and fitted a new alternator today and according to my gauge I am now getting about 13v. Battery light still does not come on when I turn the ignition on so will have to have a look at that.

Found the problem, pin had dropped out (well nearly) in the back of the warning panel plug :) . I remember when I did the conversion that I was determined to have good connections on all pins so I soldered every one of them, the problem I had then was the solder on some of the pins prevented them from locking into the plug. Try hard but never win ;)