Terrafirma Steering Damper - Are they really that rubbish??

Yesterday I fitted my Terrafirma steering damper.

Today, on a fourteen mile round trip, the Disco wobbled over every bump and cat's eye including one particularly "interesting" moment when I clipped a cat's eye exiting downhill on a M-way slip road. It took one hundred yards, both lanes of the slip road and 30 years driving experience to get it back under control. At its worse, the steering wheel was bouncing 45 degrees in each direction.

I've just refitted the rusty 17 year old LR damper with rock hard bushes and it drives like a dream again!!

FYI 315/70/17 BFG ATs (six moths old) on Predator Alloys with 30mm spacers.

More often than not the damper is only masking an underlying problem. If you have lfted your truck more than an inch it is likely to wobble as described due to the more upright caster angle. Another potential culprit, especially if no lift is fitted, would be slack on the swivel bearings and they may need some shims removing. A well set up front axle geometry should run without a steering damper without shakes or shimmys.