Nice easy one :)

barriesheene

Hi guys. This should be a nice easy one for somebody ^_^ . When I first start the truck it surges for a while before settling down. For the first couple of minutes if I blip the throttle it'll cut out and be an absolute bmgnhjyrot to get started again. If I leave it for a bit to tick over its fine. It's not a cataclismick problem I admit but I would like to get her spot on mechanically :wub: . Any help much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

My guess would be a sensor issue. Could be as simple as the temperature sensor - if it's reading low, you will get the cold start enrichment which will cause the engine to surge, particularly if not that cold. When you blip the throttle, the mixture becomes over-rich, and stalls. When you try to re-start, it's still adding the enrichment, but it doesn't need it so doesn't start.

Once it has warmed up, the sensor reads high enough to stop the enrichment and so it runs normally.

My guess would be that when you changed the fan clutch, you disturbed the connection to the sensor, enough to clear the problem temporarily. On that basis, it may just be corrosion / oxide on the sensor connections - so try cleaning them first before changing the sensor.

Si