Dynamic timing of Carb V8

Half Orange

It is a 8.25:1 CR 3528 V8 on Stroms.

Crankshaft pulley is marked up with AFTER 12| | | |TDC| | | |12|BEFORE

Book of lies tells me that I need 3deg BTDC, is that via the timing light? Which mark do I white out to set the timing? I noticed if I rotate the dizzy whilst the motor ticks over, the idle will rise, turn it the other way and it drops to the point where it wants to stall. Not sure why, or if that is important?

Not sure if I should be setting the dwell first? I'd like to get this motor timed up right, as I am sure it is off.

All help appreciated.

Jim

3 degrees ? Really ? :blink:

Hmmm well assuming it is then each of the lines is 3 degress, ie it goes 3 6 9 12 etc on the line

Tipex the line - away you go.

I would have thought (from memory) around 6 degreesish at 700-900 ish rpm (can't rememebr withouit looking up) ?

3 ??

I noticed if I rotate the dizzy whilst the motor ticks over, the idle will rise, turn it the other way and it drops to the point where it wants to stall. Not sure why, or if that is important?

Perfectly normal that it does this, you are chnaging the timing so it will affect. set the timing and then recheck the dweel, reset the dwell and then recheck the timing...eventually all will be correct :P

Nige

My old 2 dr had a 8.13:1 CR emission lump in it and the timing was supposed to be 5 ATDC!!!

It ran a whole lot sweeter set by ear to what worked out around 5 BTDC. The dwell was so easy to do on that with the fixed contact points. You could get that right almost by ear too, as the adjuster was on the outside of the dizzy.