Going to have to change the Battery...

so....been out to add a solar battery maintainer to my '99 TD5 110 and found that the Bosch AsiaSilver battery which used to display the green good to go magic eye now has turned black which apparently means check.....(or actually nearly knackered i suspect). So probably going to replace it with a new Bosch or Varta battery.....but.....i dont have a good knowledge of car electrics and am finding my feet very slowly.

If i disconnect the battery to replace it with the new one do i need to protect anything before hand....ie engine management or any other new fangled control which will render the 110 inoperable????

any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

:D

No, but you might have problems with the stereo if it has an anti-theft security code. The code should be in the vehicle's hand book, if you have that. Otherwise, you need to rig a bypass that keeps the stereo powered while the batteries are swapped. I had the code function disabled by a mobile stereo repair man to avoid future issues when a battery change disabled my RRC stereo. He charged about £20 to remove the stereo, plug it into a computer in his van, unlock it and switch of the code system.

If you have the factory-fit alarm/immobilizer be aware that there's a specific sequence you need to go through before disconnecting the battery (see handbook, but it involves deactivating immobiliser, opening door, putting key in ignition and doing things with the key in the ignition, *then* disconnecting battery)

If you fail to do this then the alarm/immobiliser will see disconnection of the battery as an attempt-to-tamper, and the alarm will go off! Since its sounder is powered by a separate battery, it will continue to honk and squeal for some time!

--Tanuki.

Thankfully the stereo is a knacker of a thing so im not to worried about that, but there is a factory fitted alarm with one of the old fobs and the sensor above the drivers door pillar. I will have a look at the handbook and see what it says.

thanks for the help....going to go for a Varta E38 with 74AH and 740CC

wish me luck