Defender front wing (light panel) removal

I have new front light panel for my defender. I have taken the lights out and removed all the bolts. Not sure but it looks like the inside edge of the panel is spot welded to a plate that is joined to the top wing and front bit. Has anyone managed to cut this out without removing the rest of the wing.

Also I can't spot weld the new bit on, can anyone recommend something to bond them back together with or is it better to use rivets ?

Does anyone have a photo of the inside corner of a front wing (driver side if possible) . The bit that is near the intercooler side of the wing and the panel that takes the headlight. Just want to see what I am going to be cutting into .

Thanks

Matt

Yep spotwelded to the immer panel, you have to either take the wingtop & front panel off as a assembly or remove the grille panel to get access to the spotwelds, I rivetted mine back together after changing the a front light panel.

Was thinking about cutting the front light panel off the spot welded plate by cutting down the wing side of the plate (not the intercooler side) then drill out the spot welds from the wing side because I have a large intercooler in the way.

Any idea if this is possible without cutting the folded bracket that holds the headlamp. Can't see what's inside and don't want to risk cutting bits I need to re-use.

It's missing from my new panel I have. I had it painted ready for fitting thinking it would just bolt on. That's why I want to make sure I don't cut into it.

Might just go for it and cut the front panel away from the spot welded bit cutting a bit at a time and folding it back to have a look.

Just don't like cutting my landrover up without knowing what I am cutting into.

Some front panels have the headlight mount attached, some don't.

Its a simple case of carefully drilling all the spot weld out with a 4.5/5mm drill bit. remove the front face (mine had 2 bolts on the inside upper flange too), transfer the headlight mount panel if you need too (you can rivet it, but I didn;t want rivets on the front panel so I used epoxy resin - its held up 1.5 years so far and seems ok, just make sure you prep the area properly before glueing. (if its good enough for the nimrod, it will do me)

So old panel out, it might need a bit of teeseing to get it fully out, and there are some sneeky spot welds too so make sure you get them all. then slot in your new front panel, make sure its where you want it, clamp it up, then match drill holes in the new panel as its in situe from where you drilled holes to remove the spot welds.

once all holes are drilled, get happy with your lazy tongues and rivet the thing back together... I'll have a dig around my photos to see if I've got any useful ones for you. Its a little moreinvloved that I first though, and a bit fiddly, but the end result is good, I'm not sure I would like to do it with the wing in situe though...

Mav