Shorter serp belt on 300tdi

Viscous fan bearing is starting to get a bit noisy after 159k miles. But rather than the hassle of sourcing a new cover and removing crank pulley etc to replace it.... is it possible to fit a shorter serpentine belt and just not have that pulley turning at all and fit a leccy fan?

Cheers for any advice

Nick

Thats a pretty crude way of doing things, especially as you now no longer have adjustment for the belt stretch over time. Also, if you use the car for offroad, the electric fan will render your intercooler to being pointless, unless the fan actually runs (depending on how you fit it, it may not provide any cooling for the intercooler at all).

I would just solve the problem myself, rather than reinvent your engine accesory drive.

I will take the belt no into account, because you may be able to run it as a back up if your alternator seizes up.

Daan

thats a fantastic fix! agreed that his alternator adjustment is crude, but that can be dealt with easily enough by getting some proper slidimg adjusters from something appropriate at a scrappies.

i'll be going there anyway to get a leccy fan.

many thanks folks and when i get around to it i promise to post pictures.