Discovery 2 TD5 Auto Gearbox not displaying Neutral

elmscroft

Hi All,

Our Discovery 2 TD5 Auto Gearbox not displaying Neutral on the dash display or on the selector. It does come on both when moving from Drive to Reverse, so the bulb and display are fine, but if put into Neutral, nothing. I have lifted the selector surround, but all there is the selector and a small linkgage. Is there a switch for neutral, that may need cleaning, adjusting or renewing. every other gear is fine.

Any ideas or pointers welcome.

Thank You

It's probably the WXYZ switch on the side of the gearbox. Expect it to get worse and cost quite a few £ to fix because you can get away with no neutral but when it doesn't show in-gear positions to the ECU, it makes the box default to 3rd for limp-home mode and you will get bored of 0-60 taking three weeks after a very short time!

If you get it on a diagnostic computer it's easy to test the switch - 5 min job.

It could just be the switch slightly out of adjustment. Mine is similar in Park - I have to push the stick hard forward to get it to register on the dash (or indeed to start). But as it's been like that for 2.5 years and 20,000 miles it doesn't seem too serious.