Replacing Freelander 1.8 Lambda sensor

Mark Adams

Hi,

Bit of a strange problem, I need to replace the O2 sensor on a 1.8 freelander. I have managed to remove the old one (with a struggle), but strangly the new one does not fit in the hole in the manifold, (it will push in part of the way but it is very tight and will not go in far enough to reach the threads). I seems to be catching on the inside of the manifold. Due to the location it is not possible to see what the problem is. I can refit the old sensor no problem.

I have noticed that the slits on the old sensor seem to have been almost closed (maybe on the inside of the manifold).

Has anyone else had a problem reftting an O2 sensor?

Mark.

Can you bend a bit of wire and poke that in the hole to have a feel?

You could always clean the old one up by heating the end with a blowlamp till it's cherry red, usually you can measure a signal coming off it when you do - should be in the 0-1v range, probably 0.8 ish as your blowlamp will be running a bit rich usually ;)

I have a Fluke oscilloscope which I used to test the sensor while running the car, it switches from .2 to .9 but it is slow at 2.3 second per cycle.

Should the inside of the manifold be completly open as I could just about feel a piece of metel sticking out just after the threads.

Mark.