Clutch and DMF?

M&S

Hi all,

I think my clutch may finally be on the way out (finally) having done 155,700m.

When I'm coasting in gear (so no throttle) or in low box and engine braking down hill there's a dull chattering sound. Stops when you put the clutch down, starts when you let it out, and if you rest your foot lightly on the clutch peddal I think theres a bit of a pulsing in time with the chattering (quite quick, like a stone in your tyre at 30mph sort of speed). As I say, the chatter is dull, like a ball bearing in a wooden box. Probably noticed it more today because I had teh window down and was green laning.

I suspect it might be the duall mass flywheel? Is that a typical sound for them when they have failed?

Am I ok to carry on driving until it packs up, then call the AA :blush: as I can't really afford it just now. Unless it's definiately the clutch/flywheel and it's gonna kill something else when it fails completely, then I'm happy to stick with it for a few weeks. As I'm not woirking at the moment I have time on my hands but not much cash!

My freelander clutch exploded and put a whole in the gearbox casing, thankfully under warranty, but obviously I don't want to cause that sort of damage again. I reckon the Disco is made of stronger stuff though.

Also, who has fitted a single flywheel instead of a dual mass? Has it made any difference to the transmission/vibration/gear change etc? Is it true that you have to buy the flywheel and clutch from the same manufacturer each time?

I don't think I need a heavy duty clutch as I'm happy enough with 155000 miles out of the original clutch to be honest. I will most likely go for a genuine one again, but if I can use a genuine clutch with a normal flywheel I may consider that as a cheaper option right now.

Cheers, Martin

That does sound like the DMF is getting worn out , the solid replacement flywheels take the std clutch kit and are a straight replacement . Rakeway and Britpart do solid FW's to name two suppliers.

Its unlikely that a failed DMF/clutch will damage anything when it finally goes , it may carry on driving ok for sometime, if you start getting any vibration beyond normal that would be my cue to change it .

I've not noticed a difference in vibes or clutch take-up when changing to a SFW

cheers

Steveb

I see they recommend to change the spigot bush as well (an extra £1.50 so will do). Anything else I should do whilst I am at it? Is the crankshaft seal easy to do whilst changing the clutch or should I leave alone if it's not leaking? Don't want to introduce a problem that wasn't there!

Going to stick with the DMF. I can get the whole genuine clutch kit and DMF for only £60 more than the Britpart clutch kit and solid fly wheel. It's lasted this long so I'm happy to stick with it for that difference. If it lasts 8 years (80,000 miles at my current rate) I'll be happy. This one has done well, it hasn't had an easy life since I got it four years ago!

I say me, I'll be letting the local garage fit it for me. One job I don't want to do myself.