alternator wiring

hi, having trouble wiring the alternator on my 200tdi conversion, i have searched the forums for an answer but everyone has either 2 thick brown wires and a brown/yellow or black/white but i have 4 thick brown which at either end becomes joined to make 2 and a red/white with a spade connector on the end furthest from the alternator. now i know what to do with the brown but the question is what do i do with the red/white?

Apologies if its teaching to suck eggs but:

Thick brown is feed to batteries

Brown and yellow is alternator warning lamp

From my experience, the 200tdi defender has two thick(ish) brown wires that have two hefty spades that go onto the back of the alternator. The third is a smaller spade for brown yellow.

From what you have described

i have 4 thick brown which at either end becomes joined to make 2 and a red/white with a spade connector on the end furthest from the alternator

I would assume that your red/white is the alternator warning lamp as this sounds like the 3 spades you normally have for a 200tdi 45amp alternator. But I might be wrong.

As far as I can remember white/red is starter solenoid, but red/white is an unknown to me. Have you traced it anywhere and how thick is it?

Is the loom/engine from a defender or disco?

goodo :D You got the alternator warning lamp (brown and yellow)? You need this (I beleive) to get the alternator to work correctly - if I've learnt anything talking to Si from X-Eng

The proper name for the brown/red circuit is the exciter circuit so yes you need it for the alt to work.. The alt will excite its self at high RPM which is why you shouldnt rotate an alt with no load attached to it.