Clinking noise from 'Drivetrain'

Last week my 'Land Rover Killer' of a wife managed to snap the UJ on the front prop shaft of her 90. We replaced the shaft and all seemed well until 3 days later when she complained of a clinking sound 'Like a dragging chain' but only when she took the power off.

After ALOT of time spent tying to locate the sound we removed the front prop shaft and tried again, the noise is still there (without the shaft). We are now in the process of replacing the front shaft and going to remove the rear and see if the noise stops. In the mean time I wondered if any of you more experienced folks had any ideas?

Hi mine did the same and still does on occasions. On my 91 defender i found the round plate that covers the front diff flange seal is loose and sounds like chain is dragging... sometimes it's noisy and then it goes quiet for a while, but worth crawling underneath and give it a tap around to see if same noise.. good luck Steve..