Receiver hitch for freelander

theoptimist

I have been looking for a receiver hitch, for my commercial freelander, i have found a few from America, i would like to fit one, for many reasons the main two are, when lifted i would need a drop plate and by making it removable i'm not going to drag it thought and ground out on it, also the amount of kit you can put on once fitted. has any company built or is selling one in the UK, I would make one my self but buy the time i have bought the metal welded it and galvanized or powder coated it i could get one shipped from america.

Many thanks

Seb

I have a receiver hitch on my 1986 Ninety, a very useful arrangement as you say. This style of hitch seems very popular across the pond, but less so in the UK.

I've never seen one on a Freelander, but I would imagine demand is not that high compared to say a Defender, and therefore most towbar companies would not want to go through the approval process for small volumes.

Making one shouldn't be too tricky if you have reasonable fabrication skills. However I believe there are legal implications regarding home-made towbars being fitted to vehicles registered after a certain date. I'm sure a grown-up will be along shortly with the exact date for us.

In the U.K, with effect from 1st August 1998 all Passenger Carrying Vehicles up to 3500kgs Gross Vehicle Weight (M1 Vehicles) can only be fitted with European Type Approved towbars if the vehicle has received European Whole Vehicle Type Approval.

Non M1 vehicles, light commercial vehicles and private imports from outside the EEC do not need Approved Towbars; however, most car and some Light Commercial Vehicles such as vans commonly use the Type Approved Towbar.

From http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/towbars/type_approval.aspx

* I am not one of the grown ups to which MickeyW was referring .... they will be along shortly ;)

You may not need a type approved towbar according to this website http://www.1stdirect.uk.com/towbars-info.html due to you having a commercial freelander

EC Type Approval Laws

If you have a light passenger vehicle registered on or after 1 August 1998 in

Great Britain (20 April 1999 in Northern Ireland), then the towbar must meet the requirements of

EC directive 94/20/EC commonly referred to as EC type approval.

This applies across the European Union but was implemented into countries’ domestic legislation

(such as the UK Construction and Use Regulations) at different times.

Exceptions

1) Vehicles that are not EC whole vehicle type approved (EWVTA).

These vehicles will not show the “e” marking on the chassis plate and are usually

Imported from outside the European Economic Area.

2) Vehicles that are not M1 class passenger vehicles.

These are vehicles that have more than eight seats plus the drivers seat.

3) Commercial vehicles

This includes car derived vans such as the Vauxhall Astra van and vehicles such as pick up trucks.

It also included vehicles such as the commercial version of the Land Rover Freelander which has

metal panels rather than rear side windows.

4) Vehicles registered on or before 31st July 1998

Cheers guys this has been a great help, fabricating might be the way forward, but on further internet hunting looks like i can get one from the US for around £150 inculuding shipping to the uk, I had a read through the link and it does seem i just about get away with a non eu,

Again Great help guys

Thank you