Removing 24v system from FFR 90

Boris113

I'm doing some work to a friend of mine's 90. It's an ex-mod (originally 78 KT 74) I have so far removed most of the radio system from the back of the vehicle (batteries, large storage box etc) but he wants the whole lot stripping out.

The other bits I can think of so far are:

The large ammount of wires running along the sills

Wiring to 24v generator

Wing mounted ariel boxes and wiring

I'm not very familiar with military vehicles, and especially 24v. If I was to remove the generator, would that have any effects on the vehicle or is it simply a case of disconnect wiring and drive belt then unbolt and remove? I'm not sure as to whether the generator is used for anything else on the vehicle.

Is anyone able to confirm, are the remaining vehicle electrics still 12 volt? I know the nato wiring hitch is 12v and the vehicle appears to have a standard alternator fitted to the td lump also.

I'm going to leave a lot of the smaller earth cables in the vehicle such as those from bonnet to bulkhead, they aren't too instrusive to daily use by a gamekeeper and can only aid the standard ineffective land rover earths!

Many thanks, Harry

The 24V system is independent of the 12V vehicle electrics so you can remove it no problem. Leaving the various earth braids is a sound plan though!

The wing boxes etc will be worth a bit on ebay.

Thanks Sean, that is just what I was hoping to hear!

The keeper has already had a soft top ex-mod 90 which I removed a few bits from on hebalf of him, both the wing boxes and seats did fetch good money! He has gone for an FFR this time because being a hard top it's a bit more secure than the last one (which was half-inched from his drive in under 2 minutes :angry2: )

Many thanks, Harry