tyres - Which Reasonable Buy

Gents

Tyres again, i'm sorry, checking through some of the old posts but most seem to be on the mosre aggressive tyres.

I current have Marshall 235/85/R16's All terrain’s.

I find them not too noisy, pretty good off road, only poor when it gets really muddy.

However most use is daily to work plus green laning weekends.

The old bus (1987 110 hard top) generally rattles along at 50-60mph.

The Marshall need replacing and have the same tread (same company) as the Kumho KL78 AT of the same size, currently best i've seen is via paddocks at £89+vat.

I'm planning on treating the old beast to four new ones, and keep one old one as a spare.

What’s the general opinion of these tyres? are there better buys out there, I don't want to be spending big bucks and don't need mud terrain.

I've also tried GOODYEAR LT235/85R16, these i found pretty noisy.

Cheers in advance

I think you have the ideal size for a 110, especially as you are covering mainly road miles.

I doubt you come across much mud in Blackheath, so road bias will be far better for noise and economy.

You won't find too many green lanes that require anything more that an AT tread, if you do you shouldn't really be driving them.

I have run Avon Rangemasters, General Grabber TRs on green lanes and been surprised how good they are. Both are pretty quiet on the road, last a long time, and are good for economy.

The KL78 also looks like a road tyre with quite decent capability off the tarmac.

I'm not sure how much they are a corner now but General Grabber TR's as fitted as standard up to a couple of years ago sound perfect for you.

Quiet on the road, and will get you surprisingly far off road, added bonus they last well

-cheers guys, nice suggestions.

Both pretty much the same price. 90-95 quid each.

For info Paddocks no longer do the Kumho KL78 AT apparently not inported to the UK anymore!!! Not so sure if i believe this!

cheers again

• 9 months later...
I think you have the ideal size for a 110, especially as you are covering mainly road miles.

I doubt you come across much mud in Blackheath, so road bias will be far better for noise and economy.

You won't find too many green lanes that require anything more that an AT tread, if you do you shouldn't really be driving them.

I have run Avon Rangemasters, General Grabber TRs on green lanes and been surprised how good they are. Both are pretty quiet on the road, last a long time, and are good for economy.

The KL78 also looks like a road tyre with quite decent capability off the tarmac.

Gaz Gussler what mpg do you get on your 110 with Gen grabbers, which size Gen Grabber TR tyre? thanks

The last set I bought were the Insa Turbo Rangers, they are AT and I found them great on my 110.

They are remoulds but seemed to be well made. Very good for the price I bought a set of five on steel modular wheels for around £650.00. Thats Tyres and wheels delivered, good value for a full set.

I found them good on the road and in the snow.

I didnt get a chance for green laning as the defender 110 got stolen before I had a chance.

But I would buy them again.

The tyres that came with my present 110 defender are Cooper s/t all terrains and seem to be a good tyre. Havnt had a chance to test them in the snow or laning but they are very expensive.

Gordon

Gaz Gussler what mpg do you get on your 110 with Gen grabbers, which size Gen Grabber TR tyre? thanks
The General Grabbers were the TR type, a fairly roady y pattern. I had them in 205R16 size on my V8 Rangey, so let's not discuss economy for that :lol:

We also had a set on my mother's 110 td5, they were factory fit 235/85R16. Afraid I can't offer exact MPG figures, but they give good economy and seemingly last for ever