200tdi transplant more questions! - clutch pipe relocation.

I'm looking at the write ups that have been done on the discovery 200di into a defender and dont really want to challenge what seems to be the standard approach, but thought I would ask.

As the exhaust down pipe is so close to the original route of the clutch pipe (and brake pipe for that matter - i think people must have moved that to one side as well) the approach seems to be to move the clutch pipe around the corner into the tunnel and by the starter motor. You cant move it too far around as a lip higher up the bulkhead is going to make it a bit messy.

More importantly though. The discovery engine came with the heatshield over the start motor. I'd like to retain it, but with the clutch pipe bracket mounted where most are putting it I cant see its possible. Also I imagine changing the flexible hose if it is necessary is going to be a pig with the starter motor in place simply as it will be difficult to get to the unions.

Whats going through my mind - why not have a slighly longer flexible pipe made up and mount it higher up on the bulkhead itself? I guess you wouldnt want to long of pipe as you would decrease the hydraulic efficiency?

Final question, my existing clutch pipe seems to be original and made of steel. Still seems in good condition. If i alter it any tips on bending without damaging. I've got a bending tool but not used it on steel before and the bends arnt very tight.

Thanks

Nick

I removed the clutch pipe bracket from the bulkhead, moved it across, and pop rivetted it

back on to the b/head. Only a case of "easing" rather than bending the metal pipe.

In my case, I was able to move the brake pipe over quite easily, again by slightly straightening

existing bends.

The heat shield was cut down and re-shaped a little, as I couldn't fit it once the engine was in.