Trans box front drive flange repair

1991 Defender 90,

I removed the front prop and got soaked in oil from the front flange while trying to diagnose a vibration. The prop shaft had seized( to be replaced) despite regular grease. I find that there is 2/3 mm lateral play on the flange along the shaft. There is a slight up/down play on the flange but there seems no play on the shaft itself. I know the answer is take it to bits but that is a brave step for me. So, before I attempt to follow http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=25053&st=0entry254775

From others experience do you think the bearing needs replacing, if not that makes the job a lot easier.

Do you think the flange itself is worn, which makes it more expensive !

If I do take it all to bits is it as easy to do in situ as it seems in the link?

Once bearing etc replaced is it just a case of tapping the shaft/bearing back?

The job needs doing its just if its me or a garage !!

I know it sounds obvious, but make sure the nut for the flange is tight before doing anything else - I had a similar vibration on a D2 and it turned out to be the flange nut loose. If the nut is not loose then with the amount of play you describe then the bearing needs replacement. After being stressed by a seized propshaft it is probably best to replace the bearing anyway. The flange should only need replacing if it is warped or if the surface the seal runs on is damaged.

Not as bad as I feared. Prop shaft has seized solid so instead of just greasing the nipple I’ll pull it a part and grease by hand as well. A bit optimistic to expect one grease nipple to get new grease all around the splines.

The flange nut was loose but the flange is ok, the oil seal destroyed but the bearing seems ok, but will be replace. Hard to say if the prop was the cause, the loose nut or a combination. One strange thing was the felt washer was inside the flange next to the oil seal/bearing.