Timing issue after installing a 35DLM8 to a 3.5 V8

straightshooter

The problem is after I installed the dizzy the engine fired up no problem tick over was reasonable but not great under high revs the engine coughed and spluttered and backfired etc so I decided to adjust the timing I turned the dizzy clockwise first which just made things worse so then I turned the dizzy anti clockwise and things got better then i hit a snag the vacuum advanced stops the dizzy from turning enough as it catches on the water pump housing I only need to turn it 1/2 cm It's the pipe that catches not the main body any ideas out there

How about trying to move the distributor relative to the distributor drive gear on the camshaft 1 tooth in the direction you want go go? Just position it at TDC on no1 cylinder first just in case. Then remove the clamp and nut, pull the dizzy up until you can turn the rotor arm with no resistance. Then put it back with the arm 1 tooth further round.

Ah, but in doing that you will loose engagement with the oil pump drive tang.

I always seem to end up with the V8 dizzy 1 tooth out when I follow the instructions :rolleyes:, and end up with the same lack of adjustment problem as the OP.

Do as duncmc says, but you also need to rotate the drive tang another 45 degrees (1/8 of a turn) so that it engages when the dizzzy drops back in.

I am getting quite good at this now with the amount of times I have had the dizzy out with my oil pressure problem. All I do is rotate the engine with downwards pressure on the dizzy until it drops onto the oil gear drive. It should drop on within one full engine revolution.

thanks for all the replies guys all the answers seem to make sence but the easiest option seems to be your's TRE, but my brain is not working. So let me get this straight if I am looking for more adjustment anti clockwise I would need to move the HT's Clockwise ?! yes thats right isn't it?! :blush:

well all just thought I would update you all on the progress tried the lead way and the tooth way both dont work as when I need to rotate the dizzy clockwise it hits the top water pipe which basically means it wont rotate enough to get the original setting and wont start so looks like i will have to live with what i have which really isn't that bad but would have been nice to get the timing spot on

Not necessarily. The bottom bit will rotate through 360 degrees except for the ancillaries catching on other bits of the engine.

Yes - essentially that's what you'll be doing, however, you might have to take the dizzy out and refit it again. If you do this, it'll probably end up in a different position to where it was so just moving the HT leads around won't necessarily work. You might have to take the cap off, work out where number 1 should be then work back from there.