Noise Control

I was out shooting a few weeks ago and we used the farmers Defender. We were talking about how noist my 200tdi was compared to his Td5. He then showed me the floor mat in the back, it was really thick and he says if he washes it out and drives around without it then he notices the noise.

I only have a wafer thin piece of rubber in the back of mine, in the front there is some not too extensive thin foam covering the bulkhead/bellhousing.

I have seen the stuff on the noisekiller site but was just going to get the various bits and bobs for the interior from this site.

http://www.keepitquiet.co.uk/acoustic_foam_sa_foam.html

I'm going to start with 12mm foam on the floor in the back utilising the exisitng thin rubber mat, the foam and some jointing tape. Then maybe the egg shell stuff on the roof ?

Where did the farmer get his mat from?

I'd be really interested to hear where you get with this, keep posting your results!

I might try Neoprene, it's waterproof and should be fairly hard wearing. I'm also thinking of lining the inside of the seat box out, simply because I think it's acting as a bit of a drum...

Cheers,

Mike

In 2007, I got some really good thick rubber mats for my 110 V8 from eBay. The noise reduction was (and is - they are still going strong) fantastic; wind noise at motorway speeds is now the major factor.

The guy who sold them (underwoody was his eBay ID) custom cut them at a very reasonable price and was based in Sandwich (Kent). I've checked that he is still on eBay, but he doesn't seem to be selling mats at the moment. Might be worth asking him, though ?

Nick