engine cuts out

trod

The rotor arm in the K series distributor can cause this, had it happen at least twice in a Rover 216 SLi. Try a new rotor arm, NJE10003. That's if it's not something more basic like it's got no oil or water and is seizing after it's been running for a few minutes!

Ray.

Engine seizing is a bit of a drastic one, I'd be looking at things like temperature sensors which would make the ECU mis-fuel the car (EG if the coolant sensor is broken it will run rich, fine for starting but might then be too rich to run when warmed up).

Can also be ignition coils breaking down when hot, crank sensor going open circuit when warmed up, that sort of thing. If you can smell fuel (overfuelling), suspect temperature sensors.

Glad that worked out. The 216 used to hesitate under load after running for a while and someone told me to do the rotor. I did, but used one that came in the dreaded Blue Box and within a month the 216 had stopped dead on the motorway and had to be recovered. Same fault. After that we carried a spare rotor in the glove box until we managed to flick the 216 and get the Freebie TD4.

We live and learn...

Ray.