Insulating the Truck Cab...

=jon=

Hi,

This weekend, I insulated the roof of the truck cab to try and make it a bit warmer in winter (and stop drips!) :)

As I'm a cheapskate, I used 2 x £4.99 camping bed rolls from Decathlon which are closed cell (so waterproof), silver on one side (thermal barrier) and a reasonably sober grey colour to nicely coordinate with the mud and rust styling details of the rest of the cab... ;)

roof.jpg

It's hard to show how it looks in a pic as it's very grey! I used glue gun glue and double sided trim tape to stick it on, if I did it again I'd probably use something like sikaflex or silicon sealant as bits of it are starting to drop already. Other than the bodges I made, it looks almost professional!

The leftovers have gone into the doors, with some new door cards replacing the missing one / plywood abominations of the previous owner... I'll also do behind / under / around the seats and the bulkhead panels with it when I get a chance..

Cheers

Jon

I stuck my insulation down with spray glue, same stuff I used for doing the carpet on the rear storage unit, it's great stuff really easy to use and sticks well, contact adhesive in a tin.

wp000089.jpg

By jasong4110 at 2012-08-12

In the photo you can see the white on the insulation waiting for the carpet to be stuck on, so I stuck the insulation to the floor and the carpet to the insulation it has remained in place since fitting, despite the best efforts of my children.

Jason.

Cool - cheers for that. I'll go get some and see how it fares. If the roof lining does start to come away it should be easy enough to stick back up there - it was a spur of the moment thing with stuff laying round, if I'd have planned better I should have got something like that to start with :)

I'm not going to do the whole lot like that though, possibly I'll get a Wright Offroad kit at some point more for noise killing than keeping it warmer... Although - I seem to have bought a cheap defender on the spur of the moment, depending how it goes I may be defecting to the dark side :o

My insulation was cheap I brought a load of these kits they cost me <£10 each including delivery there is a mass of material and other useful bits.

wp000015y.jpg

By jasong4110 at 2012-08-02

It's basically foil covered closed cell insulation covered in material.

wp000019r.jpg

wp000059v.jpg

wp000055z.jpg

It was really easy to shape and cut I got the front floor out of one piece with some left, I did the seat box and the back with the second piece which left enough to do the doors and some of the roof with the remaining, so I will get it all done out of two kits.

Jason.

See how the others have their foil on the outside? It is that which traps the air and creates an insulating layer. No doubt you will feel a difference, but the foil will make it more so.

See how I said it was closed cell foam? ;)

It's different to the stuff the others have posted, it's sealed, unlike the open cell foam in a foil wrapper stuff as posted by Jason above - the air is already trapped inside it. The 'reflecttive' layer is also a marketing gimmick - it's basically just the same foam silver coloured, rather than being a proper foil reflective layer. It's also got 'Quecha' emblazened across it every 10" or so, which was the main reason I put it facing inwards! Can't complain for £8!