Stub Axle Thrust Ring/Washers

John_T

Whilst carrying out routine maintenance (i.e. cleaning out and re-greasing the front hub bearings on my TD5 90) I succeeded in stripping the thread on the stub axle when taking the hub nut off. How exactly this happened is a bit of a mystery as it was not cross threaded (maybe a dodgy locknut?) but the net result is I have to fit a new stub axle.

The two qestions are 1) what are Paddock's £32.50 specials like and 2) can you re-use the bronze thrust rings if you have heated them to get them off the old stub axle?...or do I stop being a cheapskate and fork out £11 + VAT for a new one at the Main Stealer?

To be fair the manual says you drill and chisel them to get them and fit new ones but I found a bit of gentle heat from the blowlamp was enough to shift it in tact.

The two qestions are 1) what are Paddock's £32.50 specials like and 2) can you re-use the bronze thrust rings if you have heated them to get them off the old stub axle?...or do I stop being a cheapskate and fork out £11 + VAT for a new one at the Main Stealer?

John, used one of paddocks stubs the other month, ok, did the job !!

As a man of your standing :P hang the expense and get a new ring,,

Thanks guys. It is a TD5 so I have opted for one of Paddocks products.

Tim, you know full well I am a poor old pensioner trying to make a living driving a parts delivery van!!

However, I have ordered a new thrust ring and will sell the old one on eblag!!!.....maybe.....