Discovery Stereo, or 'ICE' for all the nerds/children...

Dunc

Want to replace the head unit on my truck because it's not working on the right-hand channel and the tape player is busted. I also want to keep it standard so that all of my lovely steering wheel and dash controls continue to work.

Natural, being on a budget, I can't afford to get something that wont be compatible, so...

Anyone know if this slightly later variant will work?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item35bfca48c1

He doesn't list early Discos in the compatibility bit, but I think that's because it wasn't factory fit rather than it being incompatible.

We all know L/R used the same connectors/switches/old tat for years, so hopefully that will work to my advantage.

Any ideas?

Thanks. :)

He doesn't list early Discos in the compatibility bit, but I think that's because it wasn't factory fit rather than it being incompatible.

We all know L/R used the same connectors/switches/old tat for years, so hopefully that will work to my advantage.

No they didn't!

I'm not certain about the second one (the highline Alpine) but the VDO cassette as fitted in later Defenders won't fit in an older vehicle unless you can get an adaptor lead - the radio head unit itself has the large single-plug BMW style unit the Germans cursed us with in the early Naughties. I think LR went back to the twin ISO connectors later on IIRC (I forgot when - may have been when the Puma came in - my '04 90 and my current '06 110 both have the BMW plug). There was certainly a period of several years pre-Puma when they used a different harness. You could get an adaptor to go from the BMW harness in the vehicle to twin ISOs in the radio, and you can probably get one the other way round but I've never seen one (or looked for one). However they were about £15 last time I looked, you may get cheapy versions.

BTW the VDO is **** and rarely works past the warranty period - I've got 2 dud ones in my garage! So I wouldn't buy one even if it did fit ;)

HTH