Dipstick tube height

V8david

Hi all

Finally putting the engine back together (3.5 V8 Efi 1989). Only thing is I can't see how far to re-insert the dipstick tube into the block?

There are no obvious markings on the tube and the bracket that bolts it to the rocker cover moves freely so is no guide. I assume it's reasonably important as it regulates the distick height when checking oil level...

If someone can give me a measurement as to how far the tube protrudes from the block I would be most grateful! Or how far below the block the dipstick should hang (no sump on at the moment so either is easy).

Sorry for the stupid question!

Cheers

David

Range Rover produced a number of different dipsticks with different lengths. So someone giving you a measurement is not going to be helpful unless it happens to be the same as yours. As far as I know, they all should have a flare in the tube that marks where it is to me inserted to. That is, it will not go in any further.

What P76 said, all the tubes I've seen have a flare in the tube that stops it going in too far.

I've just swapped mine (along with the sump) to P38 type which is much longer (deeper sump) so do have a spare 3.5/3.9 EFI disptick & tube here if it's of use.

What I did notice while assembling the engine is the dipstick runs out a fair way ABOVE the oil pickup.

Hi again, just to finish off this topic.

I actually opened my eyes and looked at the tube and there is indeed a flare on it. In fact there is a bloody stopper actually welded to it! I tapped the tube home down to this and it's back where it should be.

I knew it was a stupid question....