Discovery quarter panels

JeffR

How do you separate the two panels that make up the quarter panels on a Disco1? Need to chase some rust up the rear door pillars and the easiest way will be to remove the rear "corner" panels. The part I want to separate is number 3

The panels are screwed and bonded with some sort of mastic, whoore of a job and a massive ammount of patients required not to bend them as you pull them apart!!! Make sure you have a retractable box knife with the disposable break off blades so you can slit your way between the panels.

Forgot, it helps to remove the rear bumper.

eave them as one is easiest. if there is rust in the pillars than there will probably be rust behind the inner rear 1/4 panels (i know)

387.jpg

386.jpg

there are also two countersunk screws along the top edge of the quarter panel that need to come out as well - quite a straightforward job really.

2012-09-04-332.jpg

Cheers mate.

Oh dear, what started as "lets do a quick crossmember replacement" has kinda grown and grown into "lets completely rebuild the rear end of the Disco"

I have set myself a challenge - the Disco is booked in for an MOT on Monday 5th November. So starting at stupid o'clock tomorrow I'm off to collect a rear crossmember from YRM, then my son and I (he is the responsible adult, aged 11) will reverse the disco into the garage and pull it apart, fabricate repair panels and weld the bugger back together.

Surprisingly the boot floor is solid apart from a few patches of surface rust (resisted energetic twitting with a pointy hammer, none of this namby pamby MOT man tapping, so all is not too bad. Similarly the wheel arches are also solid, so it's just the sides and crossmember

post-25095-0-28516000-1351554097_thumb.jpg

post-25095-0-06593700-1351554160_thumb.jpg

post-25095-0-42990200-1351554221_thumb.jpg

post-25095-0-91916700-1351554275_thumb.jpg

post-25095-0-32719500-1351554330_thumb.jpg

So let battle commence........

Yours was much worse than mine! Worked out at stupid o'clock last night that most of the disco will fit in the garage if I let the tyres down, so at least I can do it in relative comfort, cos it's bloody cold up north today.

Mines in a similar state if not worse than yours, I've decided to do away with the dicke seats and just weld new panels in. I did think about cutting some from a disco that had decent inner panels, but it didn't seem worth the extra bother.

I'm replacing the rotten parts of the inner wing with zintec coated steel, which should make it last a lot longer and then shultz the lot (I need to replace boot floor and boot wings also).

Getting the first side panel off is a pain, but once you have done one, the other is easy. I found the best way was to use a heat gun and a wallpaper stripper and just work from the bottom and then up the sides. When you get to the top, work from the outside in, heat from the inside and use the scraper and a small hammer to just release the panel from the top. Just make sure you clean it all off as well once your done.

Joel