Disco 2

Wes

Hi all. Iam thinking about buying a Disco 2 TD5 ES. I am going to look at a1999 model one owner with 75k on the clock and full Landrover service history. Apart from making sure everything works what else should I look for?

Where are the obvious and not so obvious rust spots.? Are the sun roofs still a problem area?

Also am I right in thinking the timing is chain driven if so is there a chain replacement mlieage?

One other thing, how easy is it to fit a tow bar? Any othe tips would be greatfully received.

Whether I buy it or not depends on wether Ican steel myself to sell my trusty old 2.5 Petrol 90.

Thanks in advance. Wes.

Towbar is a piece of cake to fit (easier than a Disco 1) and the electrics are plug in but also easy to retro.

I traded up from a 2.5 110 petrol to a Disco 2 TD5 and it was a culture shock (in a nice way).

The Disco 2 suffers all the rust problems as any Landy and it is worth remembering that the chassis is a slightly lighter structure.

I don't think there is a Timing chain replacement period but I would imagine the tensioner probably wears like any other. My current TD5 Defender has over 100k on the clock and is not showing any signs of problems in that area.

There are a few extras on the Disco like rear air suspension and ACE but none of them pose a real problem.

Over all it is a pleasant motor to drive in comfort and don't be put off by the TD5 doubters.

Hi,

I had one of the first V8 ES models. A complete dog. Power steering failed twice. Ace block had to be replaced (£1450 for the part plus labor), radiator blew twice and in the end it turned out to be the head gaskets according to the dealer, but I suspected cracked block. Gave in after 18 months and £4500 in parts and labor (both at 10% discount from the main dealer). Gave in and moved it on through the trade.

It was an import that an English guy brought back from Australia - turned out 3 months later that there was finance on it (despite the AA inspecting it and doing an HPI check on it) as BMW came looking to get their car back.

Cut a long story short next car was P38 diesel and eventually ended up with a Shogun because the P38 wasn't much more reliable than the Discovery....

Hope you get a good one if you decide to buy......