diffs

fabsj

Yes you can use it! And it'll work fine with the 200 prop. You 'may get a little whine for 500 - 1000 miles or so as the crown wheel and pinion bed in to drive the opposite direction to which they've been used previously, but this is nothing to worry about. Steve

Are the ring and pinions bevel and not spiral? I thought too much drive in the wrong direction of a spiral R&P was bad? Please correct if wrong?

Erm, they are spiral bevel gears, in standard long nose type rover casings they are all manufactured in a rear directional configuration ie designed to go in a rear axle and drive the vehicle forwards. The diff in the front of one of these vehicles is driving the wrong direction from factory. Only the 4.6 p38 came with reverse cut gears in the front.

Erm, they are spiral bevel gears, in standard long nose type rover casings they are all manufactured in a rear directional configuration ie designed to go in a rear axle and drive the vehicle forwards. The diff in the front of one of these vehicles is driving the wrong direction from factory. Only the 4.6 p38 came with reverse cut gears in the front.

Thanks for that, I never really gave it a thought and just assumed that it would be a reverse cut R&P set,just this post made me ask the silly question.

I don't believe there are such things as silly questions. I have been having a debate in my own head for a while now about the benefits of reverse cut gears. I have aftermarket gears in my 90" with reverse cut front. Now here's my thoughts- when you are driving forwards at full power with lockers in it makes sense to have the correct reverse cut gear in the front for maximum strength, however in reality this only makes up a small percentage of driving in the real world. In reality in challenge you are likely to be reversing up steep banks or out of hole etc. Now you're reverse cut gear has become the weak link as its taking all the loading on the coast side of the teeth. Anyone else have thoughts on this? Steve

• 4 weeks later...

I don't believe there are such things as silly questions. I have been having a debate in my own head for a while now about the benefits of reverse cut gears. I have aftermarket gears in my 90" with reverse cut front. Now here's my thoughts- when you are driving forwards at full power with lockers in it makes sense to have the correct reverse cut gear in the front for maximum strength, however in reality this only makes up a small percentage of driving in the real world. In reality in challenge you are likely to be reversing up steep banks or out of hole etc. Now you're reverse cut gear has become the weak link as its taking all the loading on the coast side of the teeth. Anyone else have thoughts on this? Steve

Entirely right. I'm not convinced of the benefits of reverse cut gears in the front, but then again, how often do you use full power in reverse, compared to full power forwards? Pros and cons to both arguments, but I suspect for comp-safari vehicles, the reverse cut gears are a good investement. The old way of having identical diffs front and rear is probably better on Ranger Rovers, though, as they don't tend to off-road much but the viscous coupling will be forcing the diffs in opposite directions with considerable force when cornering tightly on tarmac. I wonder if P38s suffer front diff failures because of that effect and their reverse cuts?