diy hydraulic winch

inchman

hi all,

i currently have a standard warn 8274 on my 90. I just use this for self recovery etc. I dont do winch events and have no plan to.

The winch i have is on the front of my 90 but i seem to need a winch more and more at the rear, Im thinking of building a mid mounted hydraulic winch that could be used forward and back.

Has anybody done this before, and what parts did you use.

I live in a rural coastal part of ireland and there are lots of redundant fishing boats about with hydraulic haulers. so plenty of 2nd hand motors/drums about.

All advice greatly appreciated.

cheers Gary

There's two parts to the question; has anyone built a winch (yes, many have) and has anyone mid-mounted a winch (yes, many have). Searching back should turn up a few threads on both subjects. Also worth looking at Daan's mid-mounted PTO winch for inspiration.

to be honest i hand'nt thought of a pto, i was thinking of a belt driven pump. but a pto would be probably be handier. I have a 300 tdi with auto box fitted, would it be possible to drive while winching using a pto or do you need to disengage the drive to the wheels>?

i must have a look on ebay and see what a pto is worth .

cheers gary

You can drive with PTO engaged but matching wheel speed to winch speed is an issue - although if you're building your own winch it's easier, and with direct PTO drive you can do it exactly. Hydraulics is a bit harder as you need to run the pumps at 1500rpm (so 4th gear with the idle raised) or 3000rpm (4th/5th with foot down), an engine-driven pump makes that one easier as you can then be in any gear.

Get it right and you can do this sort of thing: