Discovery Low Speed Vibration - Turning Right

axlechorus

Dear All

My Ageing Disco 200tdi has developed a low noise rumble similar to a tyre rubbing on a radius arm when go slowly i.e.

second gear when turning right around say a roundabout.

However I'm not putting enough lock on get around to see the tyre rubbing on the radius arm. I checked the front bearings at the weekend as well as tightening the steering box and that was all in order. The only item being a slight judder in the right hand wheel as you turned the steering but it is at the end of a lot on linkages.

Overall the car is also driving fine and making most of the noises and rumbles that you expect from a 19 year old Discovery.

Any thoughts welcome.

Ta

Ryck

A CV joint is like a special ball bearing, but rather than balls rolling around a race, they move backwards and forwards along a number of slots. The slots can wear and cause the balls to move in a "un-smooth" fashion, a common CV joint failure is when you're at hard lock as this is point close to almost disclocating the joint, but not always the case.

if the balls have come warn and loose you could maybe feel it if you jacked up a wheel and felt what slackness there was in the transmission...

Are you sure when the sound is coming from? have you checked your prop shafts recently?

I will have a go at looking at the slope, there has always been a good amount of slope from the front diff so I'm not sure how much I can pinpoint to a CV if it is so. I did full lock right deliberately in the office car park today and didn't have any noise, it seems odd and quite specific when this noise occurs but there is something there.

The props are fine to my knowledge. I visually inspected/pulled them about a bit at the weekend and reguarly grease them. Also the front prop is a heavy duty one and only 2 years old so I doubt there would be anything there.

Any more thoughts?

Ta

Can you identify an area as to were the noise is coming from? - is it intermittent? if it is replicate it and stop when you hear it with the wheels in the same place and check that nothing is actually rubbing on your tyres, i mean a good under neithe inspection...

Also maybe get someone to stand outside the car when you do it, see if they can hear anything?

if you can, you need to be able to work out if its speed related or steering angle related, if the former, then it could be further up the drivetrain, e.g. gear box/transfer box.

If its steering related i can't think it will be much else otehr than something CV related... if you can identify it to one wheel then if you are inclined you could drop the stub axle and insepct the CV... or you leave it till it egts worse and becomes obvious whats wrong... difficult call...

Thanks Maverik. It does sound very much like the sound I would get from a rubbing tyre but I had the wheel off to do the bearing and had a good inspection and was unable to find anything there.

It seems to be very intermittent and most common when the car is cold. I had to take her 500 miles back and forth to Cornwall over the weekend and once warm it doesnt seem to occur.

I think I shall do some further inspections once I am back home with the garage and see if I can ascertain what it is. The car is driving fine and if it does develop over the next few weeks of low mileage then hopefully I should be able to identify it easier.

I will report back anything I find.

Ta