Early RRC 3.5 Fuel System

Freypal

Hi all,

For a while now I've been slowly restoring an '81 2 door classic. Had I have known the amount of welding I'd end up doing I may have thought twice!

Anyway, the vehicle arrived with a ruined 3.5 v8 with twin strombergs. At some point I assume the pump and filter had been changed as it came with 2 unknown flow electric fuel pumps and some naff inline filter.

I'm either going to drop in a second hand 3.5 on carbs or possibly 3.9 efi. does anyone have any info on the factory standard fuel system setup for these? I wasn't particularly impressed with how the aftermarket pumps were wired up and would prefer the factory standard route. I will be running all new fuel hose throughout so the location of the filter would be good. i believe mine would have had a mechanical fuel pump as standard? not sure about the later engines or what the best / easiest way forward might be?

Any opinions most welcome!

Thanks,

Only on the carb set up. (I know nothing on EFI, except that it seems to be an electric version of the Strombergs or SU). But on the carbs a good quality electric fuel pump of the same pressure as the mechanical is fine. I kept all as was, except changing strombergs for SU. And I really only did this as the SU didn't have a diaphram to worry about and the stromberg had a worn needle.

In some ways the electric may be better as it is pushing not pulling fuel to the front?

Hmmm, maybe trawling for a second hand running 3.5 on carbs is the way to go to keep things as simple as possible.

On the engines with carbs, where was the fuel filter mounted? It's difficult having never worked on a standard setup RR with the V8.

I really can't remember, but, as it wasn't rotten, I'm guessing higher up in the engine bay? (rather than down at rear)

Same AC paper bowl filter is now at the back next to the tank. Pump and filter have their own little ally box.

Throwing the old tank meant I had to fit a home made restrictor in the return line.

I really can't remember, but, as it wasn't rotten, I'm guessing higher up in the engine bay? (rather than down at rear)

Same AC paper bowl filter is now at the back next to the tank. Pump and filter have their own little ally box.

Throwing the old tank meant I had to fit a home made restrictor in the return line.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it. Got some holiday to take before Xmas so will have a play with it next week and see what's what.