Husky superwinch won't work, help please!

alex mac

Hi all

I joined last year and have been dropping in now and again but never posted. My name is Alex I'm 22 and live in Dorset, I can safely say I am a car addict. I own a mk2 golf that I am building for a track car and a mk4 golf r32, and then if course my work horse good old defender 90 van 1997 300tdi that I love :)

Any way I have just bought a husky superwinch off a mate that's around 9 or 10 years old. It had a brand new motor, gears and solenoids about a year ago. They then bought a new winch and bumper, so the one I have now stayed on the original bumper with the hook on the bumper. For some reason they winched the hook up tight and then left it sat around for a year. So when I fitted it the other day and tried it, it didn't work. So I cleaned the earths up and the connections and got it to winch in but not out, then realized one solenoid is not working. I switched the cables around so I could winch out on the working solenoid and all it did was made a high pitched noise. Because the cable was so tight I also couldn't switch the clutch/dog lever to free wheel, I have managed to get slack in the cable today by taking a roller out on the fairlead. Once I had a little slack I could switch the clutch lever to free wheel and pull the cable out, I then tried the winch again and it made a noise like something was moving inside the motor but nothing happened then a terminal point on the motor started to smoke. Now I am stuck and I am hoping someone could shine some light on this for me please. I have ordered a new solenoid, I have three cables going to the motor from the solenoids and a power cable going from the solenoids to the plus on the battery. Then I have a earth cable connected to the bottom of the bumper going to the negative on the battery, is that right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0AB47EEE-9E2C-498E-8B35-8B40B7D17B7B-806-0000015F6645FEAE.jpg

CF681940-60CA-492D-8550-C0E550BD1203-806-0000015F73743D57.jpg

This is the earth cable connected to the battery.

5C157C28-0083-4D0D-96B3-E0C96C92B029-806-0000015F81C1B1EC.jpg

D3156246-B060-4418-826E-2F8084DD7D8E-806-0000015F8B9A7154.jpg

Sorry for the huge write up.

Cheers

Alex

When you say it made a high pitch noise, sounds like the motor was spinning with freewheel on. Huskys are as simple as they get, sometimes if you switch from freewheel to winch on the lever you have to turn the drum a little,to get it lined up inside. I've had it before on one of mine where the drum was so tight you could barely pull the cable out in freewheel. First off I get an albrite solenoid, fit that and see where your up.

The wiring sounds correct, the earth underneath actually screw through the bumper into the motor.

You can check the motor itself from a battery using jump leads, now check this on the net before you try it as I may have got the the letters mixed up but I think it's positive to a then positive to f1 to go one direction and f2 to go the other (keep positive on a aswell) obvioulsy you'll need to put negative to the motor. That bypasses the solenoids, but like I say check on the net as I may have got them the wrong way round

When you say it made a high pitch noise, sounds like the motor was spinning with freewheel on. Huskys are as simple as they get, sometimes if you switch from freewheel to winch on the lever you have to turn the drum a little,to get it lined up inside. I've had it before on one of mine where the drum was so tight you could barely pull the cable out in freewheel. First off I get an albrite solenoid, fit that and see where your up.

The wiring sounds correct, the earth underneath actually screw through the bumper into the motor.

You can check the motor itself from a battery using jump leads, now check this on the net before you try it as I may have got the the letters mixed up but I think it's positive to a then positive to f1 to go one direction and f2 to go the other (keep positive on a aswell) obvioulsy you'll need to put negative to the motor. That bypasses the solenoids, but like I say check on the net as I may have got them the wrong way round

Thankyou for the reply guys. Before I got the cable loose last night I popped round to see a mate that's an engineer and knows his stuff about land rovers. He did the method with the battery and jump leads straight to the motor, all it did was sparked and he couldn't work out why. He wondered if it was shorting out somewhere.

I should receive my new solenoid tomorrow so ill get that fitted and wired correctly and go from there.

i would suggest giving david bowyer a call either for advice or to book it in for a service/repair with him. he will sort it no bother

If all else fails I will give David a call.

Cheers

Alex

earth should go to the bottom of the winch motor to the battery for best results.

fit an albright as suggested.

if you connect A and F1 with a short jumper lead

then connect Motor earth to -ve

then connect F2 to the battery +ve

what happens?

if its squealing and trying to move then something is adrift. and gets hot then a dead short

does the motor work wired as above when off the winch? obviously hold the centre in place with a bearing holder first!

if that bolt through the bumper goes into the winch motor too, it isin't too long is it? ie the stud is sticking up too far into the winch motor body?