Discovery 2 TD5 Brake Lights

Wingnut

I need some advice please.

A while ago I had the '3 Amigos' come up on the dash intermittently. Checked all the hubs and, sure enough, the front near side one was faulty. Replaced it with a good used one and all was well for a while - then the lights came back on.

I removed the ABS sensor from the FNS hub and re-seated it thinking that may be the fault. Still the dash lights would come on and go off at random.

Driving the car last night I noticed that I had no brake lights - but also no more lights on the dash. I checked the fuse for the brake light circut today and it is fine (also protects the reversing lights - these are working). When the snow eases off I'll take the brake light switch out to see if that is faulty.

Question is - is there a connection between the intermittant warning lights on the dash and not having any brake lights? Poor earth somewhere? I changed the fuse box under the dash about two years ago because of a faulty IDM - would this have failed again? Faulty BCM?

The car is a 2000 MY with approx. 80,000 mls. on the clock and no other problems. Has anybody got any ideas?

Regards,

Peter.

far as i can remember the break lights are as you say fused with the reverse lights, these wouldnt affect the dash warning lights.

start with the obvious (bulbs fuses break light switch) and take it from there.

also the gearbox sensor are prone to need re seating this will trigger the three dash lights.

I had a few hours today so I checked the brake light bulbs - all working as they should. Also checked the fuse in the engine bay - again ok. Next step was the brake light switch, removed it from the car and tested it.

One of the side pins and the middle pin showed continuity when the switch was open but nothing on any of the pins when the switch was closed.

Took the switch apart and found one of the pins had broken inside. The small piece of the contact had fallen to the bottom of the switch and was lying across two of the pins inside.

Repaired it, put it back together and tested it - all working fine. Put the switch back in the car and now have brake lights that work as they should.

The '3 Amigos' are still off as well. Coincidence? I don't know - but all back to normal for now.

Regards,

Peter.