Disco 2 TD5 lost power

petrolhead63

During a long 600 mile return trip this week the TD5 decided to play up. I usually cruise sedately at about 65mph tops on long trips...good for fuel! However, I went to overtake some slow lorries on a hill along the M6 and it initially pulled away fine but then started lurching a bit with off on power at about 75.

From that point it had lost power, coaxing it over about 2500rpm in fifth is pretty much a no go (70mph) In fourth it will just about make 3000rpm. It is generally gutless.

I think at one point it gained some of its power back for a while but then lost it again? certainly it seemed to have more grunt for a bit, I'm not certain though.

The MIL light has not come on, but will put Hawkeye on it over weekend.

Any ideas greatfully received.

ok, where on the harness should I look?

I have also put hawkeye on her and have these related I suspect issues it never had before. 3014 air flow low fault and 3143 turbo has been over boosting.

In addition 3144 EGR has been stuck open...logical seeing as it was removed years ago ;0)

and 3135 cruise control set has been stuck open.....it works so not sure what this means.

Ok, I have been playing with the hawkeye and other fiddling. New to pooter diagnostics on live data so bear with me!

1) Wastegate manually seemed stuck, I have freed it off by operating it and lube.

2) Air mass sensor gives no air flow reading on hawkeye live data which explains the low air flow fault coded. I guess if plug seems good its a duff sensor. the other reading is 0.03 static.

3) Testing turbo wastegate on circuit tests, when I hold the tick button it says pulsing and 3 excmation marks which I guess is a warning! so whats does that mean? dodgy actuator????

4) Whilst driving on live data I can get a reading of 7% on the wastegate, is that about right?

5) The manifold pressure by winding the motor up going up hill I get a rwading of about 220, then it drops significantly to about half I guess as wastegate opens. It was hard to do well this test as there were loads of muppets crawling up the hills!

can anyone guide me on the meaning of the hawkeye results/tests and what it points too.

Currently its driving better, but not right yet.

well you were correct in that the injector harness is soaked with oil, the ECU plug is very soggy and I took the lid off to check inside carefully, Oil was getting under the lid into the box where it was not sealed well by the plug so it will be sealed back on better.

I will do the harness, any tips as to how to clean the plugs and what with?

Also the air flow meter plug is very oily! no idea where from.....but seeing as the meter is old and very grotty inside I will treat it to a new one too, but after doing the harness to see if thats causing the lack of reading from the meter on hawkeye. I have found on other cars replacing a working but filthy meter with a nice new one has resulted in much better running.

Thanks for help, still be interested to know what readings I should get on waste gate and manifold pressure driving with hawkeye.

"I will do the harness, any tips as to how to clean the plugs and what with?"

Carb./brake cleaner worked for me - that, and compressed air.

You will probably have to clean the red plug several times to get it oil free.

Regards,

Peter.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Spot on , just had the same problem ,cleaned the red plug and mt disco is sorted .

i wash ****ting myself as i thought it was a blown head gasket .

i was also loosing water and found it was the fuel cooler leaking .

Thanks a million for this post . My disco thanks you too . 497000 km and going strong