Discovery Auto TDi Clutch Question

CJ1

As some people who read this post may know from my other posts, I am having slight problems with my Gearbox.

I am currently waiting for the correct bell housing bung to come, but the question is:

Are the clutches for the Automatic Gearboxes available to buy separately?

Or

Are they a built in part of the Gearbox itself?

My Discovery is a 1996 TDi Auto. Cheers.

Go to Ashcroft Transmissions website. I bought a rebuild kit from them. There are a few clutch "packs" which contain multiple plates.

To be honest, your box playing up and the dark oil coming out is probably indicating that it has got muck through it that is likely to continue to give problems unless it is totally stripped, cleaned and rebuilt by a proper shop.

I'd suggest you either take a chance and buy a second hand unit or price up an exchange from a reputable firm that will provide a guarantee.

With my exchange in my RR, they insisted I buy new cooler and hoses to ensure there is no residual gunk in the system.

Sorry, the most reliable way forward is not very cheap.

The plan is, going to take a chance on an oil change for now and hope for the best. At least if it decides to play ball for now it will give me a breather from repairs.

I did contact Ashcrofts and was quoted over £1400 including a £750 retainer that will be refunded once the old unit is delivered to them.