sCOTCH LOCKS and Mr Davidturnbull .

coachman

Thankyou davidturnbull, I feel sure you are bang on the money ,but I had to try first before final commitment ,as my dad would say ,measure twice cut once ,( figureativally speaking .) At least I have a working result and can now employ a more permanent method ,but thank you anyway .( but how is it done ) more proffessional help .Coachman .p s

How do you dwn load pictures ,I have my camera on smallest setting but still will not be accepted ???

I normally up load to a host like photobucket, and copy image details and paste and hey presto they are there large as life! Also serves as a back up if something happens to the laptop!!!!

As you saw the amount of wiring I did in my car(and still got some to do for the aux circuits too) it is relatively simple but time and patients consuming work!!!

Firstly make sure you have a good soldering iron, pot of flux, solder and two sizes of heat shrink, the thin ones for individual wires but also one large diameter to sheath the whole bundle, make sure it is the resin/waterproof stuff too, all available at Maplins or any high street elastictrickery store!!

Bare the ends of the new cables to be attached and mark the loom so they can all be joined and the whole joint then can be covered with the larger shrink tube, cut through loom slide on the large diam shrink tube and secure away from heat with a bit of sticky back plastic, bare both ends of the cable you just cut through and once all ends are bared back apply the hot soldering iron to the wires one at a time and once hot melt the solder into the wires core so it penetrates right through, this helps make a good solid solder joint as the full core is part of the connection, and then the hard bit comes for putting it back together!! octopus springs to mind but I used a piece of iron and two magnets to hold the wires down in place while I soldered them together, dont forget to slide on the shrink tube for the individual wires!!! once soldered all three ends tube in place and heat to seal, do all wires and tube over and seal the lot.

I know some might say well just bare the wire back and solder into the exposed section but it is hard to get a long lasting waterproof seal over your joint so I don't do that at all but that's just me I suppose.

Best of luck.