Help with Sanden as air comp on 300Tdi

Michele

Right,

I bought the Sanden from the scrapper,off a Renault Nevada,it's a 7 cylinders model.

I bought the bracket from Eq*ipe 4x4 (shame on me,but both the fabricators I know are too busy and I didn't want to wait longer).

The comp mounts on the bracket ok,but...

1)it's misaligned smile_no0030.gif

...judging by eye its pulley is in the middle between the 2 engine pulleys...

I can have the bracket redrilled to allow fine adjustment (nice,just paid 60 Euros for it).

2)the Sanden pulley has obviously a different number of grooves compared to the engine pulley.

smile_no0020.gif

Q)Do I have to change the pulley of the comp?smile_no0030.gif

(where the **** do I find the right one?)

Q)Does it need a tensioner?smile_no0030.gif

(again,where *$%!@...!)

Q)I presume the spare pulley on the engine is the one to drive the aircon comp...isn't it?

Never seen one so I have no experience.

I am really tired of this bloody OBA project,it's only giving me headaches,and it's turning into a pile of dead bits on the floor...all the pages/tech articles I saved in the last years don't say a word about pulleys or tensioners,everybody else seems to have a bolt on thing and hey presto! a 5 minutes job.

Any hint before I throw the damn thing out of the box?

:(

Sorry for the rant.

smile_no0005.gif

what model Sanden Michele ?

The Oz spec air conditioner uses a thinner belt than the polyvee pulley and the tensioner pulley only juuuust runs against the belt. It's a 4 vee belt and a 6 groove pulley, running in the middle grooves of the compressor pulley.

The compressor used here is a SD7H15-8032.

I can take some photo's if it's any help and post them up tomorrow night (our time)

Thanks guys.

Les,engine is a 300.

Just seen your piccies,but the setup is different.

Rick,I am sure enough mine is a...er...SD708?...I wish I had a digi camera now.

Yup,it's a 4 vee belt.

Maybe Microcat could help here,showing tensioner and part #?

Although ordering parts through LR would kill my wallet I fear.

Photos will be very appreciated,thanks.

Definitely I'm not in a hurry,it's only a 3 years old project...

:(

TIA.

Michele, that comp is approx. 90cc swept volume. (the '09' part)

The Oz spec air con is an after market kit, as the OE one was never considered good enough, not that our one is very good.

The tensioner is needed, and mounts/replaces the injection pump timing inspection cover. You can see the idler pulley below it in the third pic.

Don't know if these photos help. If you need any more/different angles, just holler.

Imga0097-copy.jpg

Imga0098-copy.jpg

Imga0099-copy-copy.jpg

The SO bought a new video camera a few months back, (for her dressage, but guess who has to be 'the cameraman...)) and it has a 2.5mb still capture, only hassle is, my computer OS is too old to talk to the camera, so I have to use a friends computer to download the piccies to disc, then home to my PC..... :rolleyes:

Thanks mate,

they all look the same...

Yeah,90 cc and 7 cylinders.

Gotta find that blessed tensioner in the end.

[OT]Oi,while you're out playing with the new camera,

what about a piccie or two of your 130,as you promised ages ago..?!

;)

[/OT]

[OT]Oi,while you're out playing with the new camera,

what about a piccie or two of your 130,as you promised ages ago..?!

wink.gif

[/OT]

well, those three are a start, aren't they :P and I posted a pic of my shaved Sals on Landroveraddict and AULRO, (although it's no where near as radical as the ones you see on Pirate.) so I've sort of started taking it's photo...

Rick,

Those pics are different to my disco 300Tdi setups.

Denso 10PA17C compressor. Does not have mounting lugs like your pics - bolts on top of timing case using 3 long vertical studs (4 mounting bolt holes in compressor, but ony the 2 front and left hand rear are used).

Tensioner bolts to the timing cover like yours, but is alloy casting. The lower, small idler pulley on the timing cover looks different, but is probably cosmetic change.

interesting John. What year model is the Disco ?

This Defender was one of the very last Tdi's imported. Arrived Dec '98, delivered Jan. '99 and used the (now defunct) AMC air con kit. All the Defenders were imported sans air and used a local kit. I suspect the Disco has the UK OE setup, hence the alloy tensioner, etc.

Checked again yesterday,

and my Sanden has the outlets attached still .

It's slightly different,there are 2 pipes which are kept in place by a metal clamp and bolt.

Both with a short piece of rubber hose crimped on.

The D pipe is bent,S one is fine.

If finally know where to get all the bits in Milan,hoses,filter,

oiler...so I'll probably bring the compressor along and see if I can sort everything out once for all.

It's going to take another week before I can go though.

<_<