V8 300 shape 1996 Discovery SE Cutting Out

CJ1

Hi, I am looking at a V8 Discovery with a friend of mine, purely as the person driving my mate to see this Discovery and in the description, it says: land rover starts and runs but for some reason hesitates when you select drive and accelerate then goes ok but sometimes cuts out too and can be dificult to start again its a bit of a mistery.

The Discovery is a 1996 N reg with LPG conversion, Automatic ES spec,

Any Idea's please?

Cheers

hesitating on selecting drive suggests to me that the idle air valve is sticking. should be an easy fix. either unscrew the valve from the back of the plenum chamber and give it a good clean with carb cleaner and an old toothbrush, or just put a new one in. i don't know how much they cost though.

the stalling could be related to that, but could also be down to poorly ignition components. once it stalls, the plugs get 'wet' and don't like sparking.

new genuine HT leads, rotor arm, distributor cap and coil, plus new spark plugs make a huge difference to mine each time i fit them.

LPG eats ignition components.

Could also be the gearbox oil has not been changed reguarly, it's turned to sludge and it's making the gearbox slow, when test driving check to make sure it changes ratios as it should under normal driving conditions, and make sure it kicks down under hard acceleration.

Ignition the most likely with the engine, could also be running too rich ie:- fuel/air mixture not right this could something as simple as a blocked air filter.