Radios

Igol

My radio has died on my 1997 ES, well the 'D' bit of the the LCD doesnt (and its hard to put in a code after I charged the battery) and the CD changer under my seat gave up working ages ago.

So my plan is now to upgrade the Landy one to a DAB one with a hook up for my iphone/mp3 ect.

So, given its a Disco with lots of remote buttons on the dash that work when they feel like it and my 240 mil grinder is unwell, how much of pain will it be?

Obviously I'm not bothered about being able to swap stations/turn it up/down/swap cds from the buttons hidden by the steering wheel and tbh mainly want the wireless.

Should I bin my fanciful ideas of putting modern tech into a cumudgeonly old disco and see what my mate down the scrap yard has to offer instead?

As long as as your new DAB unit has a preamplified output to feed an audio signal to the boot door bass loudspeaker you will be ok.

You may have a few wires to put away but its do able. Moden head untis even non DAB are so much better than the standard LR unit fitted back in 1997.

post-5809-0-21796300-1362304235_thumb.jpg

Ok so I've pulled out the knackered radio and have the lovely bundles of wires attached with no real indication of what does what does what.

So am I reading things right, before I start cutting?

Next to the antenna the black block will have the power?

Grey and tan blocks are assorted speaker wires?

The remaining black block with the red and black wires is the cd changer?

post-5417-0-57192100-1362826033_thumb.jpg

I did this just a week or two ago, its simple. I bought the cheapest unit I could find that did DAB (Mutant MT5068DAB) and all I needed to do was route the DAB aeriel inside (magnetic mount on the roof) and cut the large black plug with the red/black wires and re-plumb them into a phono plug. The rest just plugs straight in the back of the new head unit, excluding of course the CD changer which I'd abandoned after drowning it.

I've had a proper look and my hangover has eased a bit and think I've figured things out, everything I need is on the left and the other bit bar the antenna is for the cd changer

Correct, one ISO block is the permanant and switch 12v supply for the head unit plus the same output power supplies to the bass amp in the tailgate, the block with the red & black is the audio to the bass amp.

The other ISO block is loudspeakers only.

That just leaves the antenna lead and data lead to the multi CD player.

So why doesnt it work?

:angry2:

Obviously my fittings are different and the rear subwoofer is long gone in my truck but I'm (I would be) happy enough with the 4 speakers, mapped them all this morning and then bullet connectors on all the speaker wires and attached them to the new connector block. Subwoofer had nothing to attach it to.

Moved on to the second block and found 2 thick likely looking wires one green and one black which to my simple mind would suggest 12v power and earth connected them up and......nowt.

Now I know its going to be something simple and my fall back plan is to get a mate whos a spark to have a look later in the week, but if anyone of the learned folk on here would like to point out why I'm stupid I'm happy to hear, and yes i did put the ignition on.

Well when I replace my head unit a few years ago i noted the colour of the wires i required on a post-it, so it maybe of use 2u. Just check with your meter anyway simple to do... if you don't require the amp it's just three feeds/wires required + an earth.

purple permanent head unit live

green/orange head unit ignition switched live

red/brown head unit lights

blue/yellow amp switching live

yellow/orange amp live

Turns out that I'm not as thick as I thought.

Took it round to a mate whos a spark who ran through some tests and nowt wrong with my wiring at all power is getting to the unit and the obvious fuse on it was ok too, so he came to the conclusion that the new unit was faulty.

Discovered a tell tale led on the main unit this morning which also works when its connected so narrowed it down to the removable front cover but naturally they want the full thing back to replace it.

Sent it back so we'll see what the replacement one is like.