Ever lived in or visited the Peak District?

Woody3

Evening chaps,

Hopefully I've posted this in the right section...

If anyone who lives in or ever visits the Peak District has a spare five minutes would you mind filling in this survey?

My girlfriend is looking at land use/recreational conflict within the Peak District for her dissertation and it would be great to get the views of some offroaders to give balance to the hoards of walkers/horse riders etc.

http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s.asp?sid=wew6aleqpe2qxa3213079

Thank you very much!

The OP implies a certain sympathy for 4x4 / motorcycle users in the Peak District.

(it would be great to get the views of some offroaders to give balance to the hoards of walkers/horse riders etc.).

Deeper examination shows this 'sympathy' to be misleading.

The questions show some knowledge of recent Peak Park survey approaches, with several questions relating to 'negative impact'.

Familiarity with the approach of the Authority is shown by reference to their management plan, and referral to the Parks 'Special Qualities', a nebulous phrase created by the Authority which has no clear definition, and which they can twist to mean whatever they want it to mean. It is thus a favourite expression of theirs.

Anyone who has any knowledge and understanding about recreational motoring in the Peak Park will recognise that the term 'offroading' when used in this context (by the OP, and the 'student' in the questionnaire) will know that it is viewed as an insult, loaded with the negative connotations of illegality. It is thus regularly used by the opponents to recreational motoring.

I ask people to appreciate this negative slant, if they decide to complete the questionnaire.

Regards.

David - I understand your concerns. Maybe, my girlfriend should have used the word "green laning" as opposed to offroading? I basically copied and pasted what she wanted me to say on the forum, without any thought of how it might come across.

Not sure if you can remember, but me and my girlfriend were the people that brought to your attention the "Friends of the Peak District" letter from Julia Bradbury a couple of years ago?

We, as a couple, often go green laning in the Peak District (because we both live there). Yes, she's reading "The Conservation and Management of the Countryside", but she is far from a left leaning "4x4 users will kill children" person.

I really would appreciate if you could fill in the questionnaire - maybe, if you are local, we could meet up and give you some questionnaires for you and members of your group to fill in? She'd also be very interested in your comments.

Many Thanks,

Liam