Disco issues

Simon_CSK

I have a couple of issues that may be separate or related.

I have noticed that when I am stationary the heating blows cold air but once underway the temperature comes up. The other thing that happened tonight was the temperature gauge started to rise. I noticed it because the power started to drop. It did not go into the red and I turned the engine off immediately and cruised to a halt. Opened the bonnet and put about 1/4 of a litre of water into the system. Drove normally after that.

Any ideas?

TD5 i take it?

start by checking for coolant leaks from the thermostat in the bottom hose, not normally noticeable due to the undertray.

Yes TD5

Don't think I have a coolant leak. I have never needed to to up and the 1/4 litre really only went into the space at the top of the header tank.

Have today driven 250 miles and the temperature gauge which normally sits dead centre on a few occasions dropped to 1/4 of the way down indicating that it was running cooler. No other issues. Will be driving 450 miles tomorrow so should be interesting.

When I had a Td5 I noticed that the heater blew cold if revs allowed below about 1ooo - so if parked waiting for someone etc I would keep the revs up to near the 1000 mark and heater output would be fine .

I also had a problem with the heater output being intermittent on occasion and was always due to low coolant level - keep a check on it in case an airlock etc has developed .