300tdi won't rev & cutting out

Hi folks

My 300tdi has developed a problem. It will idle happily at start up. If I then drive a few hundred metres down the road and change up the gears the power drops off until eventually the engine cuts out. If I stop the vehicle before it cuts out the idle is rough but recovers to normal soon enough. However, if I rev it it revs up fine but then coughs once at the end of overrun.

If I start the vehicle on the drive way, don't move it but rev it it works fine.

The fact it's idling normally makes me think its the fuel pump but can anyone else suggest anything else?

Thanks all!

Thanks for the help chaps. Am attempting to change the lift pump now but cannot for the life of me get the new pump anywhere near enough to the block to get the bolts in. I've tried turning the engine over slightly but to no avail. Is there a secret to getting the wretched thing to fit?

Thanks all

is the new lift pump identical to the existing one ?

is there a thick black plastic spacer block on the old pump ? or a raised area on the plate it bolts to on the engine.

cam lobe maybe preventing it bolting up, turn engine so the lobe high point is facing inwards to engine centreline, the pumps need a good push to get the bolts started IIRC.

Pump certainly looks identical, no spacers or raised bits on old or new.

Have tried moving the cam round but no joy. I can get the pump lever in with the pump flush to the block but sat too high up,but when I push the pump down to line up the bolt holes the pump is pushed away from the block..

Thanks for all responses,am going to attack it again tomorrow and try using the bolts to tighten things up.

Lever goes on top of the cam, right? (according to Haynes book of lies and the how-to on here at least)

Yep , if you get one bolt started by allowing the pump to rock over at a slight angle then straighten it up to get the second one started

then wind them in gentle and even it should seat to the gasket with just the spring pressure of the arm , the bolts are a bit short , hence

the rocking to one side

edit to add I think the point of contact for the lever is around 11o'clock on the cam Ralph

cheers

steveb

Edited by steve b

It works! Got the pump fitted (who designed such awkward access to them!?) turned they and it started after a few splutters but now it drives superbly.

Thanks to all who responded - ver much appreciated with donation to forum on the way

...it could be a faulty new pump, it does happen.

With it ticking over crack the bleed screw on top of the filter , a good healthy squirt shows the fuel pump/lines etc are ok

If that checks out , maybe check the air intake/filter etc , hoses can delaminate inside.

cheers

Steveb